January 18th, 2012 is the largest online protest in history, to stop the internet censorship bills, SOPA & PIPA. Join in by blacking out your site and urging everyone you can reach to contact Congress now.
Websites: How to Strike
- Other people have made tools to strike. Some other ways to strike:
- Don’t be silent that day. Tweet all day from your official company account (#SOPASTRIKE) and share news on sites like reddit. You will get much love in return from your users, and the bigger the action you do, the more love you will be feeling – You can follow us on twitter for news as the strike gets closer. If you are really feeling shy, you can blackout your site logo / add STOP SOPA messages wherever you can.
Everyone: Prepare to Strike
- If you have a Twitter account, tweet about the #SOPASTRIKE and ask your followers to get ready. You can follow us on twitter for news as the strike gets closer. Go to Blackout SOPA to add ‘STOP SOPA’ to your Twitter image.
- Post this SOPA Strike page to your Facebook account by clicking here.
- Get ready for January 18th! Email and tweet at your friends, tell them to tell everyone about the strike. When the day comes, call Congress, tweet like crazy (#SOPASTRIKE), and help the strike appear everywhere!
On Jan 24th, Congress will vote to pass internet censorship in the Senate, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill – PIPA in the Senate and SOPA in the House – to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.
See this timeline of SOPA and PIPA events and the activist backlash.
- Strike Against SOPA & PIPA (from SOPA Strike website) (timotheusgordon.com)
- Strike Against SOPA & PIPA (englishnerd.net)
- YoYo-Dyne Will Be Dark Today to Protest the Protect IP Act (yoyodyne.wordpress.com)
- Stop Sopa … Stop Pipa … Stop Censorship … Strike (laurelrusswurm.wordpress.com)
- SOPA is Not Pants (isthispants.com)